Sunday, November 1, 2015

Share #3: Fresh Fried Wilapa Oysters, French Bread, Red & Green Pepper Salad, Baked Pears, White Wine

I was invited by two dear friends to watch a meditation talk on health attachments and the Buddhist teachings of non-self given by Larry Thornton Jones and Robert Beatty, founder of Portland Insight Meditation Community. It was streaming live from Portland. I sometimes sit with Laura in the kalyāṇa-mittatā or sangha group she organized from attendees of Robert's first retreat in Seattle. Laura and Clinton are generous, creative people with a passion for life and a skill for living that few possess.

Clinton had brought fresh Willapa Bay oysters back from the coast and Laura had brandied pears. Her brother brought gravy fries and I offered fresh baguette. We sat on the couch, eating from our laps, watching and discussing the talk. Afterwards, I read a few pages from the book Christian loaned me, The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment. I'd found it to be both light and useful, so I wanted to share. It got us into a discussion about language and how our language, or lack of language, hinders or aids our ability to talk about spirituality. Then we shared our experiences of expanding.

Clinton and his son Hugo have been friends for years. I watched Hugo grow up, from age 5 to age 13. They are an amazing duo. Now they, together with Laura, seem like family. They are non-stop people, always creating, surrounded by clutter, but open and engaging and alive in so many ways. My time with them never feels anything less than enriching and stimulating. I am so grateful for them and was glad to have them as an early share. Deep bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment